Another Name for Home: A D&D 5e City Building RP Heavy Game
Dungeons & Dragons 5e, Homebrew Game on Discord, Roll20
Price per player-session
Duration: 2.5 to 3 hours
Number of players: 2 to 6 players
Experience required: Intermediate
About the adventure
- Jump in at any time! - Build a city! - Heavy roleplay, plenty of combat! - Potential war and exploration with other cities in the living and breathing world! Everyone has secrets and sometimes those secrets can lead to needing to start from a fresh slate. Whatever the reasons, you are with a group of travelers on their way to create a new home in this homebrew world. Survival is essential, finding resources, making potions and magical items, taking rites to kill nearby threats, and helping the city prosper. This will focus a lot on story with background mechanics of what the city can do. The world will be living and breathing, and other cities are shifting each season just as your city is. The story will follow however you want to focus it, whether that's trying to live happily among your neighbors, or wanting to conquer the world one city at a time. It's your city, perhaps eventual kingdom, to rule. Players should be intermediate level, interested in storytelling and exploring, as well as roleplaying and creating a world/city from scratch. Also must be okay with homebrew mechanics!
How to prepare
You will need a microphone, preferably a webcam but not 100% necessary. You need an account and access to Discord and Roll20, I will provide the appropriate links to the server and Roll20 campaign. All dice and character sheets will be in Roll20, but have a way to take notes (whether via your computer or a notebook). NPCs, locations, Google Sheet (for city's stats) will be kept up in Discord, as well as private rooms to ask questions.
What I provide
I will provide assistant on how to create your characters, as well as a Roll20 set up and campaign and a Discord server to discuss outside of game things. I will provide a session 0 where we can all meet each other, ensure the party fits well together, and we can go over any rules, Lines and Veils, and questions. I will provide any side information or background information individually or via Roll20. I can also provide all homebrew books during character creation for your convenience if you want to use them and don't own them.
Content warnings: Starvation, thirst, thievery, ambushes, wars, fighting Safety tools: Lines and Veils. The above Content Warnings are things that are expected to be in the story, but a lot of it will vary on the players requests. Additionally, during the session if you are ever uncomfortable feel free to message me privately and express what parts need to be added to the Lines and Veils and we will fix it immediately. At the end we will discuss the star moments of the session (in roleplay and combat, if applicable) as well as what you wish to see in future sessions.
Safety tools used
- Lines and Veils
- Open Door
- Session 0
- Stars and Wishes
How will character creation work
Character Creation: I can help you separately create characters if you need help, but here are some rules to know before jumping into this game: 1) 3rd level characters 2) Roll 3d6 (repeat 6 times for stats) 2a) Roll 2d100, you will be provided 2 job titles/backgrounds to choose from, this will give you a bonus to your character's attributes and replace your background for the most part. 3) The only homebrew content allowed is with permission and from the following books: Hamund's Harvesting Handbook, Wilderness Survival Guide, An Elf and an Orc Had a Little Baby 3a) As a note Warforged must "shut down" for 4 hours a night instead of being allowed to stay awake all night. 3b) Variant human is allowed. 3c) Variations from Tasha's allowed (with explanation of WHY you picked those stats to fit with your background.) 4) Dice rolls must be made in Roll20. 5) Characters will be created in Roll20. 6) Do not create characters before the Session 0! Come to the Session 0 with a general idea of what you want to play, but we will ensure the party works together first. 7) We will do connections to each other as players as well as other NPCs that are in the city. Starting point: The party has been traveling together for 5-6 months and are nearing the end of their journey to a plot of land that the person who created this group owns. It's the perfect spot near water, near woods, close enough to mountains, but you would have had time to get to know each other and NPCs throughout the group. You will have no knowledge of the place you are going to because it is new territory. You MAY have knowledge (though it will be unlikely to be heavily detailed) about nearby cities, depending on the age of the city.
Players can expect
- Combat/Tactics: Medium
- Roleplay: High
- Puzzles: Low
- Experience Level: Intermediate
Player reviews (25)
Find Dungeons & Dragons 5e Game Masters
Check out some of our GMs
Browse Games by System
Tabletop Roleplaying Games Run by Game Masters
- Find a game to join solo or search for a professional game master for you and your friends/coworkers/family.
- Book your session and wait for the Game Master to approve you.
- If you don't have a blast with your first game, your next game is on us.