Onslaught of the Crimson Tide (Live Text)
Dungeons & Dragons 5e on Discord, Roll20, Theater of the Mind
About the adventure
Welcome ! This is a world-wide campaign involving the official setting of the Forgotten Realms starting in the year 1483 DR, but with some substantial changes to the canon events and timeline. Your group will eventually come to play a part in foiling a global conspiracy, by ferreting out the forces at play behind a series of disturbing events cropping up all over the known kingdoms. You have been put in touch with a group of operatives working for the King's Swords: based in Suzail, Cormyr's capital, this outfit of footsoldiers, spies and scouts is sent all over the kingdom in the service of King Foril Obarskyr the First. This time the Swords' Commander himself, Hunbert de Tarvalle, has introduced you to veteran members of one of his crack teams. They recently foiled a dark conspiracy taking place in the wetlands near Bogbrook , north of Marsember: after investigating disturbances surrounding the building of a brand new temple for Chauntea, the One Mother, they eventually realized that said-temple was in fact a facade for a much more sinister group of cultists who claim to serve an evil being they call Ashul Dhraa. After removing the leader of this particular cell, rescuing a number of innocent pilgrims who were under the Cult's power and securing the temple, recent findings point to what could be this Cult's main power base in Cormyr: the abandoned dwarven stronghold of Thunderholme, located high in the monster-ridden peaks forming the Kingdom's eastern border. Your mission: travel to the area in question, reach Thunderholme and either remove the source of the evil itself or study their defenses best you can before reporting. Be careful, as spies of this mysterious Blood Cult could already have caught wind of your purpose. You've been warned that they possess ways to dominate and corrupt those they capture: woe to the poor souls who fall into their hands ! A few select members of the original group who first uncovered the Cult's malefactions will join you for support. Learn to count on each-other as you will need all your skills on the way. For Cormyr, and for the King ! p.s: those of you venal enough to need gold for your mercenary services will be paid accordingly, needless to say. = IMPORTANT NOTE = The sessions will be played on Discord in REAL TIME (count about 3-4 hours per session) but we will use the WRITTEN form through Live TEXT Chat, both for descriptions and player's actions (meaning no audio / VC will be needed). I normally use Roll20 for tactical maps and/or handouts, as well as other visual supports including illustrations for NPCs, magic items, etc, as well as various soundtracks for a more immersive experience (optional).
How to prepare
Even for complete beginners, a passable knowledge of the most basic mechanics of the game is appreciated (you can contact me beforehand with questions, I'm happy to help). Do not be concerned about memorizing entire rulebooks though, as you will learn as you play. It's easy, especially in text format. More experienced players are of course welcome to submit their characters beforehand, but the DM reserves the right to approve them on the basis of the setting / forthcoming plot etc. Remember this is more about creating a cool story together than having the most badass-tank-multi-classed-slaughtering-machine ever ! As far as apps and other programs, you'll need a decent connection to internet and access to Discord. We use mostly Roll20 (or dice bots when needed) but if you prefer to roll your own favorite dice IRL that is also perfectly fine (just don't cheat, ok ? that's just plain lame... ;). NO MIC OR AUDIO NEEDED * HEARING-IMPAIRED WELCOME !
What I provide
I am happy to help you with your characters' portraits (I have a vast collection available), I also will provide battlemaps, general area / dungeon maps, NPC portraits, background illustrations, even special items' depictions... basically anything that can make the campaign world as real and complete as possible, and help the players visualize the situations they're in, both in and out of combat. Atmospheric sounds and/or music will also be integrated in the sessions.
We will be playing in real time but using the written word, which means you will be expected to pay attention and read the description of the action (both from the DM and other players), but also be patient when others are typing. No great skills at writing are needed, just let your imagination flow and don't feel self-conscious about your style, spelling etc... the main thing is to have fun ! I find that the slower pace of text-based gaming is balanced by the more immersive atmosphere and intricate descriptions, allowing you to explore the world and your characters' stories and motivations in depth . At the same time, the fact we do set up scheduled sessions and play in Real Time avoids the too common occurrence of players (or DMs) suddenly ghosting the game on a whim, as has too often been known to happen in slow-post text-based adventures. There will be a decent amount of challenging situations, some gritty fighting, wilderness exploration and dungeon delving, even some urban intrigues... in short we're striving for a creative, original, open-ended but still classic D&D experience. = SAFETY TOOLS NOTES = "LINES & VEILS": players are welcomed and encouraged to discuss with the DM and warn about difficult IRL themes that can be encountered / should be avoided in-game, either before or after the sessions. = KEEP OUT WARNING = - Min-Maxxers, Murder Hobos and Edgelords: I will ask you to go on your merry way and find another game with other DMs who can deal with your ego-driven childish nonsense. That will not be me. Thank you and have fun ! Far away ! - Bigots, Bullies, Braggards and other Overbearing Narcissistic Fiends: see above. Bye.
Safety tools used
- Lines and Veils
- Open Door
- Session 0
- Stars and Wishes
How will character creation work
- New characters come in at level 6, level up through Milestone system (you will join a friendly and open group of players, some relatively new, while others went through the whole first arc of this campaign, starting from level 1 to 5 - i.e. about 50+ weekly sessions !) - Stats: Roll 4d6 choose highest 3 or 27-points buy or Standard Array. Add a feat or extra stat points as needed for Level 4. - Hit Points: corresponding to Level 6 (see below). - Races and Classes allowed: almost anything from the PHB (see exceptions and notes below, we aim for a somewhat 'classic' setting if possible / acceptable). IMPORTANT NOTE !!! Races Limitations : - no Dragonborns, Aasimar, or anything from the Eberron setting were involved at campaign start. Some exceptions may be appearing at this point however, so talk to me in Private Messaging if needed. - Tieflings: exist but are exceedingly rare and feared. - Homebrew races and classes can be discussed with the DM. Monstrous humanoid races, (as well as afore-mentioned Dragonborns, Aasimars, Shifters, Warforged and more) can be integrated in the campaign as in-game world events are unfolding, but they remain very rare and will be treated accordingly (expect awkward situations in urban areas, clashes with enemy tribe members or human settlements for monstrous humanoids, etc). - Evil Alignments / 'Chaotic Crazies': possible, but must be handled with care and decency in everyone's interest. Talk to me in PM ! - Maximum HP + CON Modifier at level 1, then either roll or chose medium HP upon leveling. - Starting equipment: as in PHB or roll for starting gold and buy your own gear. - Add = EITHER 1 Uncommon Item of your choice / OR 2 regular Healing Potions / OR 1 Greater Healing Potion. BEGINNERS: if you need some help I can do a one-on-one session and walk you through character creation (free of charge)
Players can expect
- Combat/Tactics: Medium
- Roleplay: High
- Puzzles: Medium
- Experience Level: Beginner
Player reviews (23)
Find Dungeons & Dragons 5e Game Masters
Check out some of our GMs
Price per player-session
Browse Games by System
Tabletop Roleplaying Games Run by Game Masters
- Find a game to join solo or search for a professional game master for you and your friends/coworkers/family.
- Book your session and wait for the Game Master to approve you.
- If you don't have a blast with your first game, your next game is on us.